Learn how to learn math from scratch on your own?
Mathematics, along with the mother tongue, is one of the most important sciences, and not only at school. Often, you cannot do without it either in everyday life or in your career. In addition, mathematics must be taken in graduation classes. But what if everything is missed? Let's figure out how to learn this science on your own, and even from scratch, and prepare for exams.
This article will also be useful to those who graduated from high school long ago, but have a desire to go to college or university in a technical specialty. In this case, you also need to comprehend mathematics from scratch or to improve knowledge in those topics that were not understood during study or were simply forgotten.
We suggest using the instructions below. But pay attention: success completely depends on the student himself.
Before embarking on the study of mathematics, you should prepare yourself mentally. This is especially true of those to whom this subject was practically not given at school. After all, it so happens that a person does not have a mathematical, but a humanitarian mindset.
Below we will discuss what to do if you cannot understand one of the topics. But in any case, you need to be ready for a long study, because it is practically impossible to quickly learn mathematics.
Moral preparation is to:
- Try to let yourself know that you can study any science if you want. After all, somehow excellent students and good students understand discipline. Moreover, if the teacher says that this is an easy topic, then it is worth believing.
- For a while, postpone entertainment, communication with friends and various activities that are not so important in order to improve knowledge of the queen of all sciences. Let the main part of the time be devoted to the study of incomprehensible topics.
- Before starting classes, give yourself a good rest. For example, taking a walk in the fresh air in a park, doing a few physical exercises or doing urgent things. For it is very important that no worries and requests from the outside be distracted.
- Tune in to memory training in order to remember the rules and formulas. They are actually not as complicated as they seem.
- To understand that mathematics for the most part requires logical thinking and ingenuity from a person.
- To take science not for granted, but as a puzzle game in which you need to go through specific stages and check the correctness of the solution of the problem as a “fallback”.
- Convince yourself that memorization training is good for the brain.
- Understand that solving many problems and examples, building shapes and graphs, as well as various geometric proofs is an exciting process that can be applied in practice.
Let these guidelines be your helpers every time you want to leave the study of difficult topics. It turns out it's not that hard to learn math from scratch.
Assessment of your knowledge
It is very important to be able to assess your knowledge. For example, you are a 9th grade student, or it is summer at the moment, and the goal is to learn well the previously missed and misunderstood topics. In this case, we do this: open the 5th grade textbook, find any difficult problem and solve it. If the answer is correct, then we can easily proceed to the tasks for the 6th grade and check ourselves against them. It is advisable to solve a couple of tasks from each topic. You can also request essay writing help so that professionals can evaluate your knowledge on the tasks you have solved.
Now let's look at how to quickly learn the rules of mathematics.
There will certainly be a problem that you find it difficult to solve. For example, the topic is related to quadratic equations, but the example is given in the form of two products with brackets that need to be expanded. And you forgot the rules for opening parentheses, as a result of which the answer is incorrect, the test solution does not converge. In this case, it is worth noting in a separate sheet-plan that you need to figure out in which case the "+" sign is put, and in which "-" when opening the brackets. Other topics should also be worked out.
A bit of geometry
As for geometry, you should also start studying it from the beginning in order to understand what figures, theorems are, how to generally work in this discipline.
But how to learn math in a short time if almost all topics are incomprehensible or unfamiliar, and is it possible? Here are some guidelines.
If a lot is missing
Needless to say that mathematics from scratch is best dealt with with a tutor or a relative, classmate? It is quite difficult to study this subject on your own, especially when compared to history or geography. But nevertheless, if you have a lot of free time, you can try to solve the examples yourself. This may require a detailed study of simpler topics, which are mainly included in the 5th grade curriculum.
Now let's draw up a plan of our actions:
- Purchase textbooks and solution books for all grades in high school. The program must match what you study in school.
- List all the topics that are available.
- Prepare a blank problem-solving notebook. It is not recommended to solve examples on scraps of paper, let all the actions taken before your eyes, even if they are with blots and errors.
- If you have notes with lessons learned and examples solved in class, be sure to work them through. Write out the problem in a notebook, then close the synopsis, start solving it yourself. When you're done, check what you did right and what went wrong.
- Learn the rule and formulas on the current topic. Remember that mathematics doesn't “like” to cram, it “likes” to understand the definition.
This approach will help you learn math on your own. How to remember everything at once? In fact, you don't need to do this.
The best way to remember
As stated above, regular memorization will not help. We need to figure it out. Let's say your topic is related to finding the definition of the volume of shapes in geometry. These formulas are pretty simple and easy to remember. But in order to better learn the lesson, it is advisable to follow the formula to solve the problem. At the same time, you will notice the sequence: what depends on what and how it is displayed. For example, an elementary finding of the area of a rectangle: we multiply the lengths of two sides that are not parallel. And that's all, the problem is solved. It is much more difficult to determine the area of a circle or the volume of a cylinder, but if you remember the formulas, then this will not be difficult.
How can you learn mathematical rules if they are not related to formulas? It's pretty simple. For example, the same parenthesis expansion. You just need to remember that "multiplying a minus by a minus gives a plus, and multiplying a minus by a plus (and vice versa) always gives a minus." And that's all. In the future, it will be possible to solve even the most difficult problems of opening brackets one or two times!
The knowledge gained should always be consolidated. You memorized the discriminant formula or learned the sequence of finding the unknown through plotting. Be sure to go through various examples on this topic over and over again, so that everything is deposited in your memory.
Teachers, and even tutors, recommend returning from time to time to the topic covered in order to test yourself. This will actually take a few minutes. You've probably noticed that those who do well in mathematics are able to hand over work in 15-20 minutes, which is designed for half an hour. What's so surprising about it? It's just that the topic was mastered quite well and you don't need to rack your brains for a long time, remember formulas or try to ask a neighbor.
How to learn math 5 minutes before the test, and is it possible? Of course, if the previous sections are mastered well, and the current one has not been studied for some reason, then you can go over the rules and formulas. But success will be only if the topic logically continues those previously studied.
Not given and that's it
Unfortunately, most students cannot understand science either in the classroom or on their own. The topic needs to be explained separately. Often you have to resort to the help of a tutor.
But there is an opportunity to learn math from scratch on your own and for free. Naturally, with the help of the ubiquitous internet:
- video tutorials on YouTube ,
- introductory courses on math sites,
- online tutor.
Thus, you can find a way to understand the topic at no extra cost. There are many video tutorials on individual topics that are easy to learn by looking at how the tasks are solved correctly and in what sequence. It is advisable to repeat the lesson learned on your own.
If the topic is very complex
There are a lot of difficult topics in mathematics, especially in high school. Often, you cannot do without the help of knowledgeable people. Therefore, it is worth listening to the lesson carefully so that there are no problems in the future.
After all, even the most difficult topic lends itself to explanation and understanding. You just need to train in yourself perseverance, patience and a desire to learn. It is not without reason that this word means "teach yourself." Many students, closer to the final exams, ask how to learn math so that the score is high. It's simple: you should prepare in advance (work through all the topics and solve the proposed problems). Also, if you understand that something is still not clear to you, you can always seek help from specialists on the Internet https://essayassistant.org/math-help/.
Necessary tools for the job
Many teachers urge students to memorize the multiplication table, learn to count in their heads, and do as much as possible without calculators. Indeed, there was somehow mathematics without electronic computers? There were abacus, but they only developed thinking. And modern gadgets, on the contrary, weaken mental activity and impair memorization. Therefore, it is better for a modern student to take care in advance about how to learn mathematics, or rather arithmetic, so that in the future it will be easier to solve any problems without the help of a calculator.
As you can see, mathematics is a complex science that requires perseverance. You won't be able to learn it quickly. Therefore, it is advisable to study carefully each topic, starting from elementary grades.